free credit score no credit card needed : A consumer may be entitled to see their credit report free of charge. However, while it is easy to find a website offering free credit scores, it can be challenging to find a website that offers a truly free credit score without asking for your credit card number.
If you want to see your credit report before you actually have a credit card, this can be a catch-22.
If something is supposed to be free, you shouldn’t have to give your credit card number for it. Luckily, you don’t have to give up your credit card number. Learn how to get your free credit score without giving your credit card number.
Credit Scores With a Catch
Many sites offering free credit scores have a gimmick where they use the promise of a free score to lure you in. However, to get a free credit score, they require you to sign up for a trial subscription to an unauthorized credit reporting agency.
Many sites require you to pay a monthly fee to have access to your scores after a free trial period.
Sites With Free Credit Scores
There are quite a few websites that offer free credit scores without a credit card or subscription. Here are just a few of them:
- Consumers may sign up for Capital One CreditWise even if they do not have a Capital One credit score. You will receive a monthly update of your VantageScore 3.0 based on your TransUnion credit report.
- With Credit Karma, you’ll get your free credit score that’s created from an analysis of your Equifax & TransUnion scores, as well as VantageScore & insurance scores. While you may be asked for your Social Security number and other identifying information, you’re never asked to give your credit card number. Best of all, you can check your credit score every day if you want.
- Credit Sesame’s goal is to connect you with ways to lower your debt payments by offering you refinance and low interest rate credit card options. You get your free credit score with no credit card required, and the results are immediate.
- Discover provides a no-cost free credit scorecard that includes your FICO score based on your Experian credit report. The scorecard is updated monthly and you don’t have to be a customer of Discover to enroll.
- You can receive a free copy of your VantageScore 3.0 and receive monthly updates on your score. You’ll also be able to see the factors that affect your credit score.
- Quizzle, a Bankrate product, offers free access to your Experian credit score and credit report, no credit card required. Your score is updated every week.
Required Credit Score Disclosure
As part of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you are entitled to one free annual credit report from each of the three major credit bureaus. All you need to do is request yours at annualcreditreport.com.1
Although the law does not give consumers access to their credit scores, which are not included on credit reports, banks, lenders, and credit card companies are required to provide a free credit score each time they deny your application, provide you with less favorable terms, or raise your rates.
Mortgage lenders also must disclose your credit score when they check your credit for a loan application.
You won’t always get the free credit score, even if you’re denied. For example, banks don’t have to send a credit score disclosure when they use an internal credit score.
and insurance companies are not required to provide the credit score used to assign your insurance premium. If you’re denied credit or insurance, however, you should inquire about your score.
Not a FICO Score
Except for the Discover Credit Scorecard, the drawback to free credit scores is that the scores may not be FICO scores, the scores that lenders use most often.
FAKO scores may differ from one another and from your FICO score. Credit Karma, Quizzle, and Credit Sesame all give you a credit bureau’s version of your credit score (i.e. a FAKO score).
An educational credit score is not included in your FICO score if the bank used a FICO score in the decision making process. Otherwise, you will get another score, rather than your educational score.